Sunday, October 13, 2013

Reading Response to "A Fault In Our Stars"


“Small moments are things that make our lives interesting, that give a little more color. Live in the moment, who ever had fun planning the future?” I think this quote speaks much truth in the book “A Fault In Our Stars” by, John Green. The book is a very powerful piece of literature. The protagonist, Hazel Grace, -a teen living with thyroid cancer- is very meaningful; she represents and takes part in very deep metaphors although some of them may be hard to find. I think that one of the most important messages the book has to offer is that the small moments in life is what we remember. It is what makes our memories, memories and we should live in the small moments while you can, because things you think will last forever can be gone sooner than you think.
         Hazel and Augustus were both stopped in their tracks at a moment when they felt invincible. Hazel being slowly filled with “cancer water” and Augustus who had been shell-shocked as a PET scan showed he had a serious case of ostoscarcous. These tumors caused his leg to be amputated. Both of them had their lived drastically changed in a second. Yet from their point of view, things could be worse. They have seemingly perfect moments in their life with and without each other but they have come to terms with the fact they won’t have these moments forever. For example, Hazel believes that every second is a miracle, but she never loses sight of this, never takes advantage of her seconds. I think that this is what really makes her inspiring, she makes the most the most out of her limited time with Augustus.
Forever for Augustus and Hazel is hardly; Augustus’s body is “made out of tumors.” Hazel can’t lie to herself and has to admit that Augutus is not going to survive this. I thought “I don’t think Hazel wasted one moment with him,” I find this very impressive because in our day lives I think we waste a lot of time. I.E being mad at our family, staying inside when it is a beautiful day not enjoying the time when you’re with the people you love. Those moments could be gone in a second. I think the message really comes through when Augustus finally dies and Hazel, of course is devastated, and misses him. But in a weird way she feels that she did the best she could to spend the most time with him and it paid off. They have a really inspiring quote together, when Augustus says, “Oh but Hazel don’t you see we are infinite the time we spent together will go on forever, our infinity was the most spectacular thing and I wouldn’t trade for a true infinity together…” I think this is a really important message because it shows people what real “living life to fullest” is.
         In conclusion Hazel Grace is a true inspiration. She truly lived her infinity, and lives up to forever isn’t always as long as you think it is. This book really impacted my thinking and the way I live my life. She makes me appreciate what I have and the people who love me and makes me want to live in my own infinity. Hazel lives her moments to this quote, “I’m on a roller-coaster only going up!” To live in each moment like its my last because we never no, maybe it will be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment