Social
Injustice is something that we uncover everywhere, in our daily lives, in our
history, at school and in all genres of books. I am currently reading the book
“Looking for Alaska” by John Green. This book is filled with many issues from
complex ones to very obvious although still harmful. The book deals with a
group of teenagers that are figuring their way through Boarding School while
the richer kids “Weekday Warriors” flaunt, talk them down and play “harmless”
pranks on them. One of the main issues
of social injustice that really stood out to me in the book was that of the
issue, social class. The book teaches and helps you realize and maybe even
relate to the issue of those who are in the upper class setting looking down
upon those who are lower than them. My belief is that having this social
injustice put in a place that a lot of kids can relate i.e. school is really
meaningful because it is easier to see/believe happening.
One of the
ways that social class injustice is portrayed through the book is by the way
that the richer kids “Weekday Warriors” treat the regular kids, (Takumi
Colonel, Alaska,) A lot of the time they play cruel although they think are
only harmless jokes. For example, Alaska and Colonel where talking to Pudge,
and Alaska that she has always loved books and always will, she fills her room with
stacks and heaps and piles and piles of them. In a life long collection of
books, Pudge asks, “have you read all of them,” and she replies, “ Of course
not, this is my Life Library, I have all these books so I never will not have a
book” Alaska’s life library is something she is incredibly attached to. The
Weekday Warriors sneak into her room and flood it, they ruin all her books and
the reason why? Well the Weekday Warriors just think that they are better than
her, because they have nicer things and can afford nicer things than “stupid
old books.” I feel that this is a big social injustice, especially showed at
this really young age. I do not think it is fair that just because you have
nicer things than someone, you can ruin their things. Another example of social
injustice through social class was in the part when they are getting their test
back, and the Weekday Warrior crew asks them what Pudge and Alaska got and they
then as a response they say, “Wow can’t believe that you didn’t fail.” I think
that this is really unfair to think that just because someone doesn’t have a
lot of money they are not smart.
In conclusion social injustice is something that is very real and happens in our daily lives especially social class segregation. I realize that people in their lives need to be more excepting to those of “a lower social class” because you don’t know you they are and their story. I think that this is a really important message to get through to teens. I know this first hand, when I am with a group of my friends there are sometimes items that one person can afford and another can’t and instead of brushing it off or not bragging about it, people can almost make you feel bad that you can afford it. This book can teach an important lesson in a very relatable setting. Hopefully we can see the world a little differently and hopefully make a difference I how we treat others and ourselves.
In conclusion social injustice is something that is very real and happens in our daily lives especially social class segregation. I realize that people in their lives need to be more excepting to those of “a lower social class” because you don’t know you they are and their story. I think that this is a really important message to get through to teens. I know this first hand, when I am with a group of my friends there are sometimes items that one person can afford and another can’t and instead of brushing it off or not bragging about it, people can almost make you feel bad that you can afford it. This book can teach an important lesson in a very relatable setting. Hopefully we can see the world a little differently and hopefully make a difference I how we treat others and ourselves.
Wow! You did a great job on this Reading Response! I think your idea of social class injustice is something that not many people think about, but you did a great job representing that matter through this summary.
ReplyDeleteMarley,
ReplyDeleteThat was really great! I have been wanting to read, Looking for Alaska by: John Green for a year now, and you have got me so ready to read it! I also love the layout of your blog because it was very straight to the point and clean! I think that you did a great job of balancing retell and ideas! I also agree with Pamela that your idea of Social Class Injustice and very interesting and something I wouldn't think about myself. You really opened my eyes into a wider range of Social Justice Issues. Very great work!